Bell Medical Urology (BMU) and the Bell Bladder Control Center (BBCC) are a part of Bell Hospital which was established more than 100 years ago in Ishpeming, just a few miles away from Marquette; the largest driver of medical, business, and cultural needs of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Established in 2002 (as the Northern Michigan Urology and Bladder Control Center), BMU and BBCC provide general, reconstructive, and female urological services.
Our services include evaluation and treatment of the following conditions:
- Urinary incontinence and overactive bladder in women and men (including minimally invasive surgeries)
- Lower urinary tract symptoms (day-time and night-time urinary frequency, urgency, urinary incontinence, trouble starting your stream, reduced force of stream, and voiding dysfunction).
- Erectile dysfunction, sexual dysfunction and chordee (penile curvature)
- Urinary stones
- Hematuria (blood in the urine)
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate)
- Elevated PSA
- Urinary tract infections and Interstitial Cystitis
- Renal, bladder and prostate cancers
- Vasectomy (no scalpel vasectomy)
BMU and BBCC are equipped with state of the art technology including advanced urodynamic equipment for the evaluation of lower urinary symptoms and urinary incontinence. Minimally invasive procedures for the treatment of urinary incontinence are also done at both facilities. BMU and BBCC have laser capabilities and shock-wave lithotripsy (external shock waves used for breaking urinary stones without incision or endoscopy). Advanced endoscopic equipment is also available to treat urinary stone disease. Transrectal ultrasounds are used to evaluate elevated PSA and other prostatic abnormalities, and green-light laser for minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of enlarged prostates.
Our location is attached to Bell Hospital which allows our patients to have easy access to Bell Hospital and its services: Ultrasound, CAT scan and MRI, emergency room, operating room and hospitalization.
Dr. Shahar Madjar is the medical director of both BMU and BBCC.